Wednesday, November 29

Learning Spanish....a little bit

Party of the facade of the church in San Andre Xecul

Today is the third day of Spanish classes here in Xela, Guatemala. We are staying with a host family that is super nice and both enjoy our teachers very much. Our room has a beautiful vista of the volcano Santa Maria, which we plan to climb soon. My Spanish is still awful, and I feel sorry for my teacher Carolina because she has to suffer through five hours a day of listening to me. Monday afternoon we visited a small village with a bizarre technicolor church and yesterday we climbed a smallish volcano, La Muela, with a great view of the surrounding countryside.

I love Guatemala. It´s dirty, cheap, the beer is fine, the food is good and the people are friendly. The public transportation is the best I have ever seen, although not necessarily the easiest for a foreigner to figure out. More on that later. And my favorite attribute of all, everything is so colorful (see photo).

2 comments:

grahamski said...

So not fair... Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

¡Qué maravillosa es la foto! Espero que disfrutan el país de Guatemala y los colores y la cultura que ofrece. Buena suerte en sus viajes y nos vemos.