Friday, November 24

First Raft Descent?

Becca and Jake drop into one of the warm up rapids on Opal Cr.

Tuesday of this week, we went rafting. It was awesome. One of the best river trips I have ever been on. Jake, Melanie, My sister and I went and ran Opal Creek. This is actually a 4 mile section on the Little North fork of the North Santiam. The class IV canyon was spectacular with numerous fun drops and interesting rapids. We R2ed in two rafts and I think there is a chance we were the first rafts ever to run this Northwest classic. I have been asking around and nobody else seems to know of rafts on this stretch. Maybe the one mile hike to the put-in and the heinous portage around Big Fluffy keep the rafters away. We actually ended up running the last class IV, Thor’s Playroom, in the near dark after a long day on the river.

1 comment:

Paul Bunce said...

Congratulations on rafting Opal Creek! I think you did get the first descent. We rafted it on Dec. 16, 2006.

It is one of the most beautiful river's I've ever read. You can read our trip report at http://blog.blueskyrafting.com/

-Paul B