Friday, December 16

Fun Times

One of the particularly enjoyable parts of my job is trying to understand what kids are saying.  These kids can't make many English sounds, are missing teeth and don't really know the proper pronunciation to begin with.  My name for example is pronounced "Kiss" by many students (no th sound in Korean).  I can understand this malady because as a kid I said my name "Teef" as in "Teef want a tookie."  Bill used to tease me for hours much to my chagrin:

Bill: Is your name Teef?
Keith: No, It's Teef!!!
Repeat many many times....

Anyway, I have had a couple of very similar experiences:

Keith: What is your English name?
Student: Effa.
K: Effa?
S: No, Effa!
K: Ella?
S: No, EFFA!
K: Heffer?
S: EFFA!!!
Rest of class:  Her name is EFFA!!!
10 minutes later....
Student points to apple shaped clock....
K: Apple?
S:  Big smile giggles nods
K: APPLE!!!!  Your name is Apple!

Monster was a real tough one too.  The whole staff thought his name was Meusta for the longest time.  He is in a class with Ghost and Pink.


3 comments:

melanie said...

This exact conversation has occured between almost every teacher here and Apple. Other names were also considered when trying to guess her name including Ethel and Emma (both good guesses if you ask me). I happened to have this conversation following her losing her two front teeth and a trip to the dentist which resulted in swollen cheeks!

grahamski said...

Sounds like thun!

Anonymous said...

I have a very young little friend in Sun Valley, Idaho, named Mike. Mike, the last time I saw him, was about five years old and had the cutest speech impediment. He always says a "t" sound when he means a "c" sound. For example: "That's tool, Teeth!" really means "That's cool, Keith." How funny yet frustrating at times, too. Keep up the great stories. They're always amusing or, at least, enlightening. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year-to-be. Take care both!