Wednesday, January 3

Happy New Year!

They have big fireworks in Panama, rockets nearly as big as me that have lots of pretty colors. The five of us got a little tipsy on a sparsly inhabited island on the Pacific side of Panama and stayed up dancing. It was fun.

¨Near death¨ may be a slight exaggeration, but it was scary. Yesterday we went snorkeling on a distant island. It was quite a long ride out in the crappiest boat I have ever had the pleasure of using. During the ride, Jasmine queried the captain, ¨Does it ever get rough?¨ and he replied that it could get bumpy when the wind comes from the north. Sure enough, on the return trip there was a healthy breeze from the north. The swells increased to about four feet and started breaking over the bow. Normally I would not sweat class III, but the integrity of the craft and the length of the swim made me nervous. There is no way we could swim to shore before dark. Then the boat started breaking. Everything was out of our control, so all we could do is hang on, clinch our jaws and get well hydrated for the impending swim. We made it although my jaw is still a bit sore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's OSHA when you need them?

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I made my own Blog. It's not very exciting yet, but I am still figuring out how to use it. And I put a link to some photo's from my new camera on it! lepetitharicot.blogspot.com Can you believe that Mom is only a few small countries away from you?! I guess I can't be that jealous, since I'm leaving for Africa in only two months!! I just keep telling myself that anyway... :)