Sunday, December 17

Quest for the Tree of Life


My dad was in a picture similar to this one 27 years ago.

My parents travelled to Guatemala the winter of 1979-1980, and since I was born in October of 1980 it comes as no surprise that I was conceived here. My mom thinks that it happened on Lago Atitlan and gave Melanie some photos taken near their camp. One is of my dad swimming in the lake and another is of my mom washing clothes. Both photos have distinct mountains in the background as clues. The other bit of information was that the conception occured under an avocado tree.

We set out in kayaks on this quest for the avocado tree from San Pedro because we believed it to be the closest town. The kayaks turned out to be very nice because the road is far from the beach in many places and separated by resort properties. What we planned on taking an hour or maybe two ended up taking 4. We paddled about 5 miles across the lake to a cove near Santiago Atitlan and I got a bad sunburn. The photos matched the mountains perfectly but we could not find the tree. I suppose it has changed a bit in 27 years. We settled on taking pictures of me in the same place as my dad 27 years ago. That was really cool. I wonder if the tree my placenta is buried under is still alive?

No comments: