Tuesday, May 9

Adventures with Mom

Cool hat man doing a sweet aerial at the Suwon Folk Village.

My mom was here for a wonderful 12 day visit and just left this morning. Of the 12 days that she was here I only had to work three, which made it all the better. We ate a ton of wonderful food and consumed ourselves with a whirlwind of activity. Besides getting to see me, my mom loved checking out all the Korean crafts especially in the Suwon Folk Village. Mel and I had never visited the folk village and had a great time checking out the performances, handmade homes, and drinking the dong-dong-ju. After the 동동주 Mel took a trip through the haunted house and came out snorting with laughter.


Lanterns at the parade in celebration of Buddha's birthday.

Another interesting event came on a rainy Saturday when we decided to drive Pedro (the van) into Seoul. A short ways from our house I decided it would be real fun to drive through a deep puddle. Pedro died. I tried to restart, but to no avail. So we are stuck at the edge of this huge intersection with hundreds of cars honking behind us. We decide to wait for the next green and push for the gas station on the other side. We were a little slow off the mark and made it across 4 of the 10 lanes of traffic before the light turned red. So here we are slowly pushing a broken down van perpendicular to honking busses and trucks that are confused between the horn and the brakes. I'm certain that they thought we were playing 'chicken' and were happy to oblige. We made it, but it was close. The adrenalin subsided about 3 hours later.

Did I mention that when we went camping my mom for got her tent?

1 comment:

Josh said...

Uh duh BA. Can't wait to see you in a little over a week!